Moving on from our previous blog on the best Mangalsutra Bracelet Designs, today let’s look at the ideal kids’ earrings for sensitive ears.
A baby with pierced ears can be as challenging as it is adorable. You cannot resist purchasing every single pair of earrings you find for your kid. However, it is important to keep in mind that a child’s ear can be very sensitive, so you need to shop accordingly. Kids with sensitive ears need extra care and protection, along with the best quality products to keep their ears safe. Thus, if you want to learn what kind of earrings are best for sensitive ears, then read on.
A. Different Types of Sensation in the Ear
The ear can be very stimulating to the senses. The sensations in our ears help us in day-to-day lives and can be classified into two categories:
- General Sensation: These include touch, pain, temperature, proprioception and pressure. These sensations are important to understand the sensitivity of the ear under different general sensations.
- Special Sensation: Special senses convey the sensations through the cranial nerves to the brain; they include sensations, such as vision, hearing, taste, and smell.
B. Kids Earrings For Sensitive Ears – Tips for Buying
Buying the best earrings for sensitive ears can be difficult, but with the right information; your child can have the best earrings possible:
1. Right Age For Ear Piercing
The right age to pierce a child’s ears is as early as 2 months old. This is an ideal time, as it coincides with the first round of vaccination (which includes the tetanus vaccine), thus preventing any kind of infections.
2. Choose The Right Earrings
Since allergic reactions caused by nickel and cobalt are common amongst kids as well as adults, it is best to opt for nickel-free earrings when it comes to buying kids jewellery. Also, avoid buying kids earrings in other cheap alloy materials to prevent any further irritation or infection in babies/toddlers. When shopping for kids jewellery, it is best to opt for earrings that are made from pure and precious metals, as these are considered to be the best earrings for sensitive ears.
- Solid Gold: Gold is considered to be one of the purest metals on earth. Gold earrings are preferred to be at least 14 karats to ensure the highest amount of pure metal is included. 14 karat gold-plated and 18 karat gold-plated earrings for kids are an excellent option due to the hypoallergenic properties of the metal itself. Some kids may even be sensitive to white gold, as it may contain nickel which may cause an allergic reaction.
Check out some of our earring designs for kids in gold;
- Rhodium Plated: Rhodium-plated jewellery is the best choice for toddler earrings with sensitive ears as it doesn’t have nickel or any alloys, which may cause an allergic reaction.
- Sterling Silver: An alloy that contains 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals usually copper, Sterling silver earrings is another great option for kids with sensitive ears.
3. Taking Care of Kid’s Jewellery
Taking care of a child’s jewellery is extremely important as their ears are sensitive.
After the ear piercing, you need to closely follow the care instructions given to you by the piercer. This includes cleaning your kid’s ears with an antiseptic lotion/cream and turning the earrings of your child at regular intervals.
Gently rotating the kid’s earrings and cleaning the earlobes thoroughly (front and back) with a suitable antiseptic product, rubbing alcohol or, an antibiotic at least 2 times a day is recommended. This simple process of cleaning can be followed at home.
Your child’s favourite earrings or the jewellery to be worn on occasion, both are equally important to be kept clean and in good condition to avoid ear infections and/or other issues pertaining to ear health.
After the initial period of piercing is over and healed (6 to 8 weeks), you can change the earrings for a new pair.
The instructions to change the earring after the 6 to 8-week period, varies for everyone, so it is important to follow the instructions given very closely to avoid any unnecessary ear issues.
If there are any issues or questions, consulting a paediatrician as early as possible is advised.
Further reading: Guide to Buying Children’s Jewellery
Hope these tips for buying children’s earrings for sensitive ears helped!
You need to consider the right age and metal, as baby’s jewellery needs extra care to prevent an allergic reaction or infection. Taking care of the jewellery is also important to avoid irritation. Thus, make sure to evaluate each and every point, before you make a purchase.
You can find the best jewellery for little girls with sensitive ears on our site. We offer a wide range of beautiful gold earrings for babies/toddlers that are available in unique patterns and exquisite designs and can also be personalised.
Plus, you can check out this blog if you are looking for the top kids jewellery gift ideas. This blog gives you an overview of the best jewellery gift ideas for kids.